Monday, October 16, 2006

Composing a story

I felt really smart one day (as opposed to feeling stupid all of the other days!). A few weeks ago, I was doing a really serious feature on Dontia Haynes, an SDSU tennis player who passed away last year in a tragic motorcycle accident. After interviewing a close female friend of his, she gave me some advice and asked how I was going to write the story from here.

I have to apologize... if you don't care about journalism, this may be a bit boring for you. Live with it.

I had somewhat of a moment of Zen. Of course, maybe I was just imagining it. Maybe I was just regurgitating what some wise sage had once told me.

"Writing a story is like putting a puzzle together. Talking to you was just one piece of the puzzle, now I have to go complete it."

That's how I'm trying to think of each story. That is also why I never, never, never write stories with just one source. I can't stand that, and I feel like I have cheated all ten people who would read my article if I ever do that. It just takes a few extra minutes to bring more perspective into a story. Talk to a coach, another player, a fan, a friend... anyone! Never stop at just one source and think you have the whole picture. That's like ending the puzzle with just one corner finished.

Now to the more interesting things I've been thinking about...

I saw football head coach Chuck Long walking around campus with a bit of an entourage. I really wanted to stop him and ask him a few questions.

Keep in mind that so far this year, the Aztecs have been pretty bad. Granted, they have gone through their first two quarterbacks and are relying on a redshirt freshman under center, but it's still pretty bad here on Montezuma Mesa. They have yet to win a game, and the road ahead doesn't look too pretty.

"Coach Long, so, was this 0-5 start in your 'I want to win, and I want to now' plan?"
"Was this really worth leaving your national championships and blue-chip recruits you had at Oklahoma?"
"Can I play quarterback? You seem to go through a lot of those."

What I think is hilarious is that Long has a program going on with the AS union, where students can create and submit plays to the head coach. Once each game, Long will use the best student-designed play. When you're asking a student body that is either wasted and/or out surfing half the time to draw up plays... that's kinda sad.

Also, these last few days have made me realize how dependent I am on the internet. The web has been out at my house since Friday night. Lucky me, I had two stories to work on. I'm less than pleased. It is still out, and I had to come all the way back to campus to do something which would've taken me maybe 5 to 10 minutes over email.

I'm trying to find a different place to live for the rest of this academic year. I need reliable internet service so I can relay info and stories back and forth to my editors as well as do research for my stories. You've heard enough of me complaining by now.

I had another article in the Daily Aztec today, enjoy!

Five out of eight runners set personal best times at the meet and the Aztecs finished seventh.

"They really stepped up and put themselves in a good position," assistant coach Jennifer Nanista said. "It just shows that what we're doing is working. They're coming together when they need to be coming together."

Senior captain Celeste Tyson led the way, setting a career best. Tyson finished seventh overall at 17 minutes, 52 seconds, the fastest 5K time of any Aztec runner this year.

"I'm actually a little bit sad that I didn't drop more time," Tyson said. "It does feel really good because it's my last season and it's something I've wanted to do since I've been here.

"I can leave this behind and know that I left a good mark."

Tyson's mark has been more than just her performance on the course. She loves getting the team pumped up any way she can. Whether it's lending her eyeliner for war paint, or giving each runner a famous inspirational quote, Tyson has been there for SDSU.

Lafferty out.

1 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger sittingstill said...

"...Talking to you was just one piece of the puzzle, now I have to go complete it."

I hope that's an attitude you never lose! My boss has taken a lot of reporters' calls over the years I've been here, and it's rare that a writer isn't simply looking for a quote or a factoid that fits what he or she has already sketched out.

I'm a better editor than a writer, for various reasons*, but even there I find I can't edit properly until I've read a piece all the way through. I need to see the whole layout before I can tell what needs to be reshaped or tweaked.

* (Most having to do with an inability to MAKE myself write. I hope your enthusiasm and drive prevent that from being an issue for you!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home